Today is Leap Day, a bonus day in the hurried life we all lead. Being as such, we should all take a part of the day, since we really shouldn’t have this extra day anyway and do something meaningful or extremely frivolous. Here are my top ten recommendations of things to do to celebrate your extra 24 hours:
10) Write a letter to your relative with the strangest middle name. It should have at least 4 syllables or sound like some kind of African flower.
9) Bury a time capsule in the backyard of a random house and go back and dig it up every four years and add to it. According to my attorney, it’s only a misdemeanor, unless an ex-President lives there.
8) Clean out a closet and give everything that you couldn’t remember you had to charity. Yes, even that sweater, it’s really ugly and those shoes will never be back in style.
7) Re-caulk something, doesn’t matter what, but using a caulk gun is fun. Or, fill the caulk gun with cookie dough, offer to caulk something for a friend and them let them find you singing nursery rhymes and eating caulk.
6) Tell at least 6 people that you love them. Make sure they are relatives, close friends or baristas.
5) Floss or use dental floss in a very creative work of art.
4) Go to a senior community and just listen to the residents for an hour, let them tell their stories and see what you learn or how many times you laugh (see, industry relevance!)
3) Find all the spare change in your car, laundry room, junk drawers and seat cushions and go by the biggest ice cream sundae you can find. Share it with at least three people (use separate spoons).
2) Challenge your office to a game of Leap Frog. The winner gets to leave an hour early. Wait. Are there rules for Leap Frog? How do you decide who wins. Maybe you can leap frog your way home. Be careful, that could be dangerous.
1) Watch 30 seconds of TV on every channel you have. Every time you end up on a commercial, start over again. After an hour, you’ll be giggling uncontrollably and will have thrown your remote through the TV.
Bonus recommendation – Read a frivolous blog entry that you thought might have some value.